Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Bad News, Good News

The Bad News is... for the first time since moving to Powell River 7 1/2 years ago I am sick. Very sick. This flu has kept me from exercising since February 9th, and the end is not in sight.

The Good News is... I have started to lose weight and see results. I am 5.8 pounds lighter than I was on January 4th, and the clothes I have been wearing are starting to hang on me, necessitating a shift to smaller clothes in my closet, which houses a wide range of sizes.

The Bad News is... fellow blogger Bethany is also sick with the flu. I tried to offer words of encouragement and tell her to hang in there, but my comment would not post.

The Good News is... Bethany seems to be self-motivated.

The Bad News is... if this disease doesn't kill me, boredom may. When my brain wasn't functioning at a level high enough to read or write, I spent my time thinking about my bucket list... the things I would like to do before I get too old to enjoy them (at which point I may as well have kicked the bucket.) Sadly, I will not fully enjoy any of those things unless I am able to feel good about the way I look, even if I just look good "for my age."

The Good News is... this is something over which I can exercise control. So I went online and found a calorie counter that I can post on the desk top of all my computers (both jobs, home, laptop) and keep track of what I eat. More importanly, as I went through the list to delete food I will NEVER eat (some meat and vegetables are too nasty to ingest), I became very aware of what I should and should not consider eating. I also had a paradigm shift. Rather than focusing on staying within a certain calorie intake limit, I decided to eat the least number of calories possible, while eating 5 or 6 times a day, and enjoying a balanced diet.

The Bad News is... good intentions are useless unless they are translated into good actions. Time will tell.

The Good News is... I am determined to keep fighting until I have won the battle of the bulge, so I might as well get it over with sooner than later , and start on that bucket list.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Hi Danita... Sorry I haven't been by the office... I couldn't bear to see an actual number after all my cheating and lame workouts.

Hope you are finally recovering and that you can hop back into the swing of things...

I'm waiting at the edge of my seat for your next post.