Tuesday, January 11, 2011

End of Week One of Donate the Weight

People sometimes suggest I should just forget about my weight and accept my body as it is. That is so wrong, on so many levels.


First, it suggests I adopt a defeatist attitude. "This is too much work, so no matter how much I want or need to lose weight, I'm going to take the easy way out and simply give up." Believe me, I often think about doing just that, and at times it appears as though I have, but ultimately I can't. It doesn't mean I don't like myself as a person, and don't recognize that my appearance is just a small part of who I am, but I simply can't decide to be less than I can be. I am not able to change my height or my age, but I can control other aspects of the way I look.


Second, even if I could accept my body, others won't and that makes it nearly impossible to pretend I'm fine with it. I was having a conversation with someone who was talking about his disappointment when he finally met someone face to face that he had been communicating with over the internet. Turns out her face was pretty, (which was all he had seen in her photographs)but her body was not. As he described her flabby arms and rolls of fat I pointed out the he is not exactly svelte. To which he replied, "No I'm not. But would you be attracted to a fat man?" He has a point. Just because I'm short and round doesn't mean I don't want to be with someone who is tall and slim. (My husband and I resemble the comic-strip characters Mutt and Jeff.)


Thirdly, it's not all about appearances. Being overweight is very hard on your body, and it will take its toll sooner or later. Since "later" is fast approaching, the time to act is now.

Today I weighed myself to see how far I've come. I lost 5.4 pounds while on RESET, 2.8 pounds of which were lost since my official weigh-in on January 4th. Given Shirley's experience, I was prepared not to lose any weight for the first couple of weeks, so I'm happy with this. I've not yet received diet guidelines from Zee, but had to start eating something before my work-outs so I have strength to complete those seemingly endless repetitions, and don't pass out. Zee never pushes me past my limits, but neither does he let me quit. I don't have to finish at warp speed, but he never lowers the required time I must spend on the equipment, or the number of repetitions I must complete.

So we'll see where this journey takes me over the remaining weeks of the campaign. Making myself a priority has been difficult, but I have done everything possible to paint myself into a corner so I can't back out. :))

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Your blog is so enjoyable to read.. those are really good thoughts to be reminded of.

Bethany said...

Hi Danita, I miss your posts. I hope everything is well with you and that you've been too busy working out to post!