Monday, January 10, 2011

Day Six of Donate the Weight

Something many overweight people have in common is the belief we don't deserve to pamper ourselves or wear nice things. Why waste the time and money? We won't look good or feel good about ourselves anyway! So we spend our time and money on other things, that we think are more worthwhile.

It's a vicious cycle. The bigger we get, the more we reinforce our belief that there's "no point." In turn, the worse we look because we're not engaging in self care, the more we comfort ourselves with food. I often ask myself why it is that even though I want to be slim and fit, I obviously want to gobble down sweets even more! It's baffling.

I think the problem is exacerbated in our small, relaxed, informal community. When I lived and worked in a large city I felt I had no choice but to be properly goroomed, put on make-up each morning and dress in a professional manner. But I soon learned that is not necessary in Powell River. It was easy to stop caring how I look. Spending an extra 45 minutes being productive at the computer each morning took precedence over putting on make-up and doing something with my hair. What I wore became unimportant to me. But it takes a toll. People's response to your appearance greatly affects the way you see yourself, which affects the way you treat yourself.

So I started making a point of paying more attention to the way I look. And guess what! People began commenting on my weight loss... even when there had been no weight loss! I just smiled and said, "I'm trying."

No comments: